Thursday, October 4, 2012

Step One: Evaluate the Now

Welcome to my 31 Days to Create Purpose in your home!  During the month of October, I am posting every day about creating purpose in your home and joining all of these bloggers who are also posting for 31 days on a topic of their choice.  I would love for you to follow me, and check out all of the other posts in the series and the introduction to it, here.
Credit

On our path to create purpose in our home we must first look and see what is going on in the now.    To use the example of a map, you must get your baring and know where you are starting for your path to make sense.  The same is true with creating purpose in your home.  Think of it as a map, and the very first thing you need to do, is find where you are on the map.  Evaluation when done properly is hard, and challenging.  It requires you to look at your life and home with fresh eyes to truly see what is going on and what is good, bad, ugly, needing improvement, going well and so on.  Knowing what you define as "home" is important because you need to know what you are specifically evaluating.  Here are some starter questions/things to look at when you do your own evaluation.

Physically
What does my home look like?  What does my home say when someone new walks into it?
Do I like it?  What do I want to change?  What do I want to keep?

People/Relationships
Is my home happy and welcoming to all?  Is my family happy?  Is my family able to feel like this is their space/home/safe haven?  What do my relationships with my family look like?  Am I taking care of myself?

Management
Is my home clean?  Is my home organized?  What do I spend most of my time doing?  Am I happy with how I spend my time managing my home?  Is what I'm doing now working?  How much money do we have to put towards the purpose of our home?  Who does what around the house?  Does it work?

There are always more questions that you can ask, however it is important to be honest with yourself so that you can fully grasp where your home is at, and only then can you look forward to where you would like for it to be.

My way too honest evaluation is coming tomorrow (remember, there is a reason my blog is called homemaking challenged).  Stay tuned.

Cheers!

Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Some of these questions are very heavy when you stop and take a good hard look at your home in all senses of the definition. I know I am about a month late but I think that you are better late than never sometimes. In the last 3 minutes since I finished reading this blog post and deciding to post a comment I have already determined that my home is a mess and needs some extra TLC stat! Thanks Ash for your hard hitting questions and I can't wait to continue reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete