Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day

I had a realization this week.

I think it is appropriate to share today, as it is Mother’s Day.

First, I have a confession.  I have been feeling exhausted and overwhelmed lately.  I have been firing on all cylinders, and I have been very task oriented lately.  I have learned that when I am too task oriented, I have a tendency to hyper focus, and get cranky when anything stops me, or distracts me from completing my tasks.  Even my precious children.

I just need a break from them, if I just had two hours away to get all this done, I would feel so much better.  Then they wouldn’t be distractions, and I could finish faster and relax for a bit to recharge... Or so I thought.

Yet, when I am away from my children, my heart aches for them, and it is just as every bit distracting.

Then it hit me.

I have it backwards.  I should not be so task oriented, because my kids are not a distraction.  My kids need me more than my tasks.  It is more important for me to read another story, or go play in the backyard with them, than reply to a work email, or to blog.  It is more important to push them on the swings or watch them play than to try and do practically anything else.

I am not saying let everyone starve while you choose to not make dinner, I am saying find other things that you don’t need to do while you are with your kids, and truly be WITH your kids.

Put away your phone, unplug the TV, close the computer & tablets, and fully invest some more time with your kids.  Away from the distractions of the rest of life.  Forget your to-do list for an hour.  I mean it, forget that it even exists.  Give your children a full hour or two of undivided attention.  Fully enjoy and embrace motherhood.

Sure, after that time, you may be tired, and more overwhelmed by the less time you have to accomplish your todo list.  However, your heart will be full, your babies will know how much you love them, and you will have the sweet reminder of what an amazing blessing it is to be called “Mom”.


If you are in the place of feeling like all you need is a break today, sweet mother, use the fact that it is Mother’s Day to have someone else do your “todo” list and fully enjoy your children.  If they need something, have someone else meet that need, and just spend some time, loving on your sweet babies, like only you can.



Happy Mother's Day to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. I was reading your article and wondered if you had considered creating an ebook on this subject. Your writing would sell it fast. You have a lot of writing talent. Maifest Festival

    ReplyDelete