Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Our Fortress is Safe

Welcome to my 31 Days to Create Purpose in your home!  During the month of October, I am posting every day about creating purpose in your home and joining all of these bloggers who are also posting for 31 days on a topic of their choice.  I would love for you to follow me, and check out all of the other posts in the series and the introduction to it here.

Credit
For us, part of the reason I chose the word fortress, is because it is a stronghold.  A place that is safe, where you are sheltered from the world, a place to be yourself.  What makes your home feel free ?  What makes you feel safe and at ease?  Find those things to make your home a safe place for your own family.  Here is what we do.


1. A Wall of Positivity


We try and surround out home with positive and encouraging words.  The world outside will do everything they can to try and tear your family down.  Make a point to make the home a safe place for your kids, where they are going to feel encouraged.  Tell them 5 encouraging/complementary things each day in your home.

2. A Wall of Prayer

Pray, it can not be said enough.  Prayer is powerful.  Daily pray for your family, their safety, their emotional well being.  Prayer will surround your house and make it a safe place.

3. Full of as much "YES" as possible

We hear "NO" so much.  Kids, even more so (especially mischievous toddlers, but I wouldn't know anything about that).  I want my kids to feel like they can ask and do things in their home.  Obviously safety, health and well being comes first (no, you may not have ANOTHER cookie followed by tears is common in our home right now).  However, where is the harm in allowing your child to pick out their clothes (weather appropriate)?  So what, if you teen want's to paint their room black?  I think there is a phrase called "picking your battles".  I fully believe that when you say yes, it makes your kids feel valued, and gives them courage, to talk to you about more stuff.  Making it a safe place for them to share with you as they grow up.

4. Physically Safe

This is as simple for us as making sure doors, cars etc are locked up tight for the night time.  Making sure that smoke alarms are functional, and that things are turned off.  Keeping things picked up off the floor means not tripping over them with attempting to warm milk at 4am.  It's the little things that keep you safe.  For families with little ones, it means baby proofing, and making sure there is nothing harmful with in your kids reach. 

 All of this helps give me peace of mind and helps me feel safe in my home, my fortress.  What do you do to make your home feel safe?

Cheers!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment