Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What is Purpose?

Credit
For this series I felt it best to start at the very beginning (a very good place to start).  Today and tomorrow I will be defining two of the key words of my 31 day series.  I think that it is important to make sure you as a reader knows exactly what I mean when I use the word purpose and home, as definitions can vary.  Today I am defining Purpose.

What is Purpose?  In my many attempts to write this post with out quoting the dictionary, I came up empty handed.  So I am just going to quote Dictionatry.com and get it out of the way up front!

pur·pose

[pur-puhs] Show IPA noun, verb, pur·posed, pur·pos·ing.noun
1.the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used, etc.
2.an intended or desired result; end; aim; goal.
3.determination; resoluteness.
4.the subject in hand; the point at issue.
5.practical result, effect, or advantage: to act to good purpose.

For a home this definition is so key.  It helps us come up with some very key questions that we each must answer to begin this journey of creating purpose in our home.  What defines your home? What is the reason our home exists?  What is the reason our home is used for?  What is our intended or desired result for our home?  What is our determination level for our home?  How strongly do we feel about our home?  These are some good questions to answer as you seek to create purpose in the home.  


They aren't easy questions if you truly think about them an answer them honestly.  How do begin to decide what the purpose of your home should be?  How do you even have time to think about that with a toddler constantly destroying the area you just cleaned, trying to get dinner on the table and feeding your baby all at the same time?  When your home has purpose, these things never happen, but you will know what you are accomplishing on the whole, and it is easier to move past the crazy moments that happen as a homemaker.  Over the next few days we will look at why these questions are important, I will give you my answers personally, and we will create a plan to give your home purpose.


Cheers!


Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment