Monday, December 10, 2012

A Life Goal - slight personal detour

 A personal goal that has very little to do with homemaking, so feel free to skip.  I have been having a horrid case of writers block and this is the only think that would come out, so here it is.

Many of you will think I am absolutely bonkers for this goal, but as time goes on, I am feeling more and more drawn to it as something, that not only is my heart set on, but I am feeling called to do.  My day job is a ministry position at a church.  I love it.  I honestly truly feel that this is exactly where God has called me to be right now.  I have always had an inquisitive mind, I have always been curious about many things and a deep desire to figure out the, why and how and what it means for me.  My desire to learn this in one particular field has grown more and more over the last few years, and I have decided that I will make it a Life Goal. 

I want to have my PhD in Church History by the time I'm 40.

Crazy? Yes, I fully admit it is crazy.  I also know that it sounds rather dry and boring, however here is where the desire to study this has come from.  Working in an American church today, I have many questions that I have been unable to come up with the answers for.  My line of questions/thoughts went something like this:
Are we doing "Church" the right way? Is there a "right" way?  Is the way we are doing it effective in our current culture?  Do churches at all effect culture?  Does Culture affect the church?  How?  What is the relationship between church and culture?  What does the history of church and culture look like?  If we can look at past examples of the relationship between church and culture, what would they say?  Can we create an effective ministry strategy for today based off of our church history?

I have also always loved to teach and learn, and I think that after many years of practical ministry experience (which I am currently working on and will continue to do so) combined with a PhD in Church History, I would really like to teach at Biola University or another similar place, (but lets admit it, I will always have a special place in my heart for Biola) poring into the next generation of Church leadership. 

So there it is, I am looking into some great programs, but those come with a serious price tag and/or a physical move, which is something we are not willing to do at the moment.  I'm excited about this new direction God has placed on my heart, and while it will not stop me from working hard to become less homemaking challenged, it will challenge me to stretch my already thin time even more.  It will force me to come up with better ways of doing things which I am excited to see how that will happen.

I know that this has little to do with homemaking, but this is what has been on my heart and mind lately and I wanted to share it with you.  I know things have been more quite around here lately, I am working on fixing that.

Cheers!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment