Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Never Stop Talking

On occasion I am going to start talking about marriage, it's a new thing I'm trying with this blog.  I feel that I have somethings to say that could benefit others and I want to share them.  So here is my very first marriage post.

If you don't already know, I work at a local church as the Pastor to Early Childhood.  Most people just think that I watch and play with the babies (which I do), but I also do much, much more.  A few weeks ago, I had a mother confide in me about a truly horrible (is there anything other than?) divorce that her and her soon-to-be-ex had just started.  While my heart was breaking for her, she shared a bit of marriage advice that weeks later is still echoing in my heart.

"Never stop talking to your husband"

"My husband and I stopped talking years ago."  At first I brushed it off, thinking obviously my husband and I talk!  How can you live in the same house as someone and not talk?  It wasn't until later that the words sunk in.  How often do my husband and I truly talk?  How often is the conversation centered on what needs to be done, rather than meaningful conversation?  Sure, he knows what time the kids need to be picked up and what happened at work but does he know what is going on in my head and heart?  For those who are married, how important is your marriage?  How much time do you intentionally invest in it?  When was the last time you and your spouse just talked?

As a wife,  mom, worker employed outside of the home, and a challenged homemaker, it has been so easy for me to get busy with the house, work, the kids, this blog, my life, etc.  I wanted to share this encouragement with you, to never stop dialoguing with your husband.  Stay connected.  Go out of your way to connect with him, emotional, spiritually and physically.  Do not allow yourself to be so caught up in life that you forget about your partner.  Seriously, text or tell him how much you love him, or something you appreciate about him right now, I just did. 

Cheers!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment