Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Challenge Reveal

It is the end of the month, and my challenge with Organizing Junkie is at and end, and it is time for the big reveal.  To see where this room started, click here.  I am so excited to share these pictures with you, and thank you for following and encouraging me along this journey.  Without further delay here are the before and after pictures

When you first walk in our room, it used to look like this:

Now it looks like this:



My "corner of shame" before:
and after:


The wall by the door before:

After:


Our closet before:

After:


The laundry hamper before

and after:

We ended up trashing a ton of junk and ended up with a huge purge pile for our church garage sale next weekend:

Overall this was an AMAZING experience for me.  I actually have a room that is ONLY a bedroom and not a storage space as well.  I really feel like this system is going to work for us, and we are going to be able to keep it up.  I am also excited about the few decorative touches I was able to add, and the fact that I only spent $35 to help contain our chaos.  It is an amazing feeling to finally have control over your own room.  As this was part of a challenge, here are some questions we have been asked to answer as part of it.  I hope that it gives you a better picture of how amazing this journey has been and I hope that it inspires you to tackle something of your own.

Challenge Summary Questions

1. What space did you decide to organize and why?
I chose to organize our master bedroom, because it had become a dumping ground for everything.  We still had boxes that needed to be sorted through from our move, way too much random stuff that we didn't know what to do with and more clothes than fit in our dresser/closet space.

2. What steps did you take to ensure you completed the space within the 29 day timeline?
I set up a plan from the beginning, and moved around the room step by step.  I tackled the hardest area 1st, so that the rest of the room would feel easy after that.  Even though I didn't stay as strictly to my plan as I would have liked (as life does happen), I had goals for each week and worked hard to meet them or catch up when I was behind.  I also had my amazing hubby help keep me accountable to finish on time.

3. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and how did you overcome it?
I ended up needing to do a bunch of side projects, in order to not carry clutter from our room to the rest of the house and that got me off track many times.  For example, in order to get the luggage out of our closet, we had to re-organize our garage storage.  In order to clear off shelving in the closet, it lead me to re-organize our entire paper system.  I had to pick and choose projects to do now and projects to contain and do later.  For example, my craft box was relocated to our linen closet, but I still need to come up with a system for all my crafty things that will work.  I chose to do the side projects that would help our bedroom in the long run during this month, and left others for another day (even though it was hard).

4. What did you do with the “stuff” you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?
As you would have it, our church is having a garage sale in 2 weeks.  Half of it is currently in the trunk of my hubby's car, and the other half will go out on a second trip this coming weekend when they start collecting everything.  I'm excited that it will be going towards a good cause, and that the timing worked out so that we don't have it just hanging around for a month or two.

5. Tell me one of your proudest moments during this challenge?
After I had finished, and I did a few other things around our home, I walked back into our room and couldn't help but smile.  This is the first time in our married life where I have felt like we actually have a master bedroom that isn't a storage room as well!  There is a place for everything and everything is in it's place.  I'm so excited!

6. Explain any organizing “tools” you used to help you create additional space and to establish some limits and boundaries?
The biggest boundary we used was our limited space, while I call our bedroom a "master bedroom" it is only 12' x 14'.  We had no money for a new larger dresser, or for elaborate storage systems, so we purged until it fit, and fit well.  I did make 2 small purchases to help us with better boundaries.  We got a new laundry hamper that is hard and not as flexible as our previous one.  Ensuring that things land in the hamper and not on the floor, so far it is working!  I also spent some money on a hanging closet organizer.  It has 6 cubbies and they all have a specific function.  I am the most excited about this, because it puts things that were at the top of my closet, in easier reach, as well as emptied out the top of the closet so we have more room to grow.

7. What is ONE piece of advice you’d give to someone else to encourage them on their organizational journey?
Find a way for you to be motivated, and go for it!  Honestly, cleaning out our bedroom has been on my "need to do" list for months.  For me, a contest where I posted updates and was doing it along side of others (even though I have never met any of them) was motivating and encouraging.  Figure out what motivates you, and get going. 


Cheers!

Ashley

8 comments:

  1. That is beautiful!! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing to be ashamed of now! nice work

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet it feels great to have your bedroom back. Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fabulous job, Ashley!!! It looks sooooo good! Side projects were a struggle for me, too, but I'm sure you agree that it was worth the work!

    ReplyDelete