Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Org Junkie’s 29 Day Organizing Challenge: Before

To help me get motivated, (and lets face it, I really need some extra help in the motivation department) I have decided to join my first blog challenge.  You can join the fun here:


The challenge is to re-organize one room/space in your home.  For me I am in desperate need of some more organization for our master bedroom.  Here are my before pictures, please don't judge me to harshly.


When you first open the door, this is what you see.  Our bed, and the storage under our bed trying to escape.


Immediately to your left is our closet, and my night stand.  Our closet as you can see is small and in some SERIOUS need of help.


The worst part is the corner of shame.  It has boxes stacked, plastic storage tubs, and piles of things we use and just rummage through.  Most of it should be in the closet, but as you just saw, there is no room.


 Here is the rest of that wall, the corner of shame is in the far left, and there are boxes stacked that we have yet to unpack from moving 8 months ago.  They are just sitting in our room.  Oh ya, and that TV. It isn't even plugged in.  It is just sitting there, being clutter.



So there you have it.  Along with my February goals, I will be taking the next 29 days tackling this project.


Here are some answers to a few questions the Org Junkie posts on her site here:

1. What do I want the purpose of my room or area to be?
This is the master bedroom, a place that I want to be a retreat for my husband and I after a long day.  I want it to be a place where we can relax, and not be a place we throw stuff from the living spaces right before guest show up.  I want to wake up and open my eyes and feel empowered, like we can tackle anything that comes our way.


2. What do I need in or near the room to serve that purpose?
The clutter has to go!  Everything needs a place, not just a place to lay around.  I would also like to find some creative solutions to "hide" things that we need everyday, so they are easy to grab and use but still out of sight.


3. What can I remove from the room?
The boxes, the TV and I'm sure many of the things that are being stored under our bed.

4. What problems do I see with the room?

The room is small, and is maxed out on storage space, we can not add new containers or furniture to the room

5. What organizational tools might solve those problems?

De-cluttering current closet, and drawer space to make room of other things that we still need.  Creative space solutions for the limited closet space.   Perhaps moving boxes to the garage, (but that we would have to clean out 1st).

6. What habits need to change to solve the organizational problems?

The biggest one is being lazy.  Not just throwing things down when we walk in, having a place to put things that are easy, so that we will do it.

7. What kind of a budget do I have to create the organized room of my dreams?

I will discuss this further with my hubby, but I know that I will not have more than $50, most likely less.


8. What kind of a timeline is necessary to organize the room?
I have 29 days from today to finish this project!

9. What is my plan of action?

Week 1 - De -clutter and get rid of unnecessary things
Week 2 - Re organize, find places for things, that work
Week 3 - Create solutions for storage, that are functional and non-distracting
Week 4 - Beautify!  Make it prettier (though I may start somethings sooner depending on what projects I can or can't do)



4 comments:

  1. I love your plan and the questions you answered. I have a tv in my bedroom which is what I'm going to be decluttering, but I don't think my hubby will go for getting rid of it. Good plan! Let's go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not sure if the hubby is going to go for getting rid of this one, but I'm not sure how well its going to work. Thanks for stoping by!

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I usually sell clutter on craigslist to fund my organizing/DIY projects -- quick & easy with no $ out of my regular budget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, know About Ahmed-Akbar Sobhan biography? Visit Our website to read this article.

    ReplyDelete