Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Day 15: Finding Motivation


For the month of October, I am joining TONS of other bloggers by linking up with The Nester for 31 day blogging challenge where we post about one topic each day for the whole month.  After lots of consideration, I have chosen to take a journey through this book31 Days to Clean: Having a Martha Home the Mary Way, by Sarah Mae.  Check out more information about the book from my 1st post here, and see my intro post with the links to the entire series here.



I really do struggle with motivation.  I have found that different things motivate me.  I completely identified with this part of today's reading.
"Unless I’m in some crazy cleaning groove, I would rather do anything other than clean. I relate with all of you out there who struggle with the motivation to clean.  It’s not that I don’t like having a clean, peaceful home; it’s that I find cleaning terribly boring. However, cleaning is part of life, and it must be done or life becomes chaotic and stressful (if not for us, for those around us)" - page 32 of 31 Days to Clean by Sarah Mae
I recently did a weight loss competition.  (Stay with me, I know not what I normally write about but I'm going to make a point, I promise.)  Now, I have been struggling to loose this extra baby weight for the last year.  I have only been really "trying" for about 7 weeks.  During the month of September I joined a group of ladies to help motivate each other.  It was amazing.  The deal was loose 4% of your body weight and pay nothing, fail and pay $10, loose the most and collect the winnings from those who had to pay.  It motivated me.  I actually ended up winning, but what it also did was help me find a tangible reason to change my habits, until I was able to appreciate the intangible. 

What is your tangible reason to clean our home?  Seriously.  Remember back in day 1 where we discovered WHY we wanted a clean home?  Through this weight loss competition last month, I realized that if my why has a tangible component, I am able to keep my motivation.  Just not feeling stressed, is not tangible enough for me until I actually experience it for myself.  Just like with loosing weight, I now know that intangible positive feelings that go with loosing weight and while I am not in the "competition" this month, I am still loosing weight because I have established better habits and have leaned the intangible value of it.

Bottom line: I have realized that for awhile, until I have experiential knowledge of the good that is intangible that comes with something, I need a carrot dangled in front of me to help me establish the habits to get to where I can experience the rest of it, and find my true motivation.

This makes me feel childish, but it is true. You see I "know" that if my home is clean,  my family and myself are way less stressed out.  However until I actually "experience" this less stressed way of life, I have a hard time being motivated, because I wonder if it is actually worth it.  This month, going through this book, and blogging about it has served as part of my "external" motivation.  Posting pictures and writing about my experiences to share is something I enjoy doing.  It gives me an extra reason to actually do the challenges.  It also has shown me, that I do feel better when certain things in my home are done.  I am slowly learning the intangible feelings and hopefully, when this challenge is done, my habits have changed enough so that I know the rewards and am able to keep my motivation.

What motivates you?  Do you need a dangling carrot?

Martha Challenge:







Sorry the last one is so dark, my hubby was still sleeping this morning when I was snapping the picture.  I know it isn't perfect, but it is a HUGE improvement.

1 comment:

  1. This is me too! I "know" but haven't "felt" and things are not getting done. I definitely need some "carrots dangling" to get myself moving.

    ReplyDelete